Children's Understanding of the Bible
3-year-old, Reese:"Our Father, Who does art in heaven, Harold is His name. Amen."
• Dear God, In Sunday School they told us what You do. Who does it when You are on vacation? — Jane
• Dear God, Did You really mean "do unto others as they do unto you?" Because if you did, then I'm going to fix my brother. — Darla
• Dear God, I didn't think orange went with purple until I saw the sunset You made on Tuesday. — Margret
A mother was preparing pancakes for her sons, Kevin, 5 and Ryan 3. The boys began to argue over who would get the first pancake.Their mother saw the opportunity for a moral lesson.
"If Jesus were sitting here, He would say, 'Let my brother have the first pancake, I can wait.'"
Kevin turned to his younger brother and said, "Ryan, you be Jesus!"
Mark 8:29 (ESV) 29 And he asked them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter answered him, (A)“You are (B)the Christ.”
Ladies let us use this study of Mark’s Gospel to learn more about Immanuel, God with us.
Pray for Ladies hearts to be open to Lord’s Word.
Guard my lips Let the Holy Spirit speak through me and take Ann out of the way.
Let the words of my mouth………………..
Bring more ladies.
Caution- question of authorship.
Can’t prove John Mark was the author of the Gospel called by his name
evidence still seems to rest in favor of Mark’s authorship.
N T books required authorship by an apostle to qualify for acceptance into the canon.
early church would NOT have assigned a Gospel to a minor figure like John Mark unless he were known to be its author,
No church father ascribes this Gospel to anyone other than Mark.
Mother, Mary, woman of wealth; was early headquarters for Jesus followers perhaps the last supper was held there also: home church,
As a youth Mark was present at the arrest of Jesus and that he left an “anonymous signature” in the story of the young man who fled naked (14:51-52)!
• Shortest gospel
• Earliest recorded gospel Papias writing about A.D. 130 refers to Mark as Peter’s interpreter who wrote accurately what Christ had said or done.
• Peter account while in Roman prison
• Evidence of eyewitness
• First to develop literary form known as Gospel
• Impression of eyewitness account
• Possibly dictated by Peter in Rome
• Most likely John Mark, nephew of Barnabas
• Mother, Mary, woman of wealth; home church
• Accompanied Paul and Barnabas on 1st missionary trip
Ladies let us use this study of Mark’s Gospel to learn more about Jesus!
When you find a bargain or an incredible cleaning product, we want to share the news with all our friends. Me I share it with everyone that might be in the cashiers line. This bottle filled with you favorite beverage costs $2.50 at one of my grandchildren favorite places. On each return visit the bottle can be refilled for $.53 over and over. I’ve had this one for 2 years. I can’t understand why anyone would pay $1.99 for a large drink, when the refillable bottle is only $.50 more.
Key Verse“For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve,
and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45
Mark show humanness of Jesus. He shows him tired, falling asleep in the boat or angry when the disciples turned away the children who came to him,
Eugene Peterson author of the Message says “Mark wasted no time in getting down to business a single sentence introduction not a digression to be found from beginning to end. There's an air of breathless excitement in nearly every sentence he writes the sooner we get the message the better off we'll be. The message is good, incredibly good, God is here and he's on our side”
Mark is in a hurry to tell us what happened in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, the event that reveals the truth of God to us. He doesn't want to wait a minute to share with Gentiles that Jesus is passionate to save us.
• Matthew wrote for Jewish readers. Using OT to establish the lineage of the Promised Messiah.
• Mark on the other hand was written for the Gentiles or non-Jewish readers.
• First of these gospels to be written and was a source for Matthew and Luke.
• Each gospel writer has his own purpose and target audience therefore they do not contain exactly the same material.
• Mark begins his book introducing John the Baptist as the forerunner of Jesus as of the Messiah.
• One reference to OT other that words of Christ
• Shows public ministry and miracles of Jesus
• Stresses humanity, 17 times “Son of man”
Seven Aspects of Christ’s Sonship
1. “Son of God”-cf. 3:11; 15:39
2. “Son of Man”- used 15 times
3. “my beloved Son”-1:10-11
4. “Son of the Most High God”-5:7
a. recognized by demons
5. “son of Mary”-6:3
6. “Son of David”-10:47-48;12:35
7. “Son of the Blessed”-14:61
Lord as we see the humanity of Christ, would you give us a servant’s heart.
PARABLES AND STORIES
14 brief stories in first 3 ch.
Parables in Chapter 4-The Sower, from BGL, Light under a Bushel
Growth of Seed, Mustard Seed;
17 more episodes in ch.4-8
23 stories on way to Jerusalem
Would you choose to develop a deeper knowledge
of Jesus through the study of Mark?