CHRIST IN THE OLD TESTAMENT
Joshua has been regarded as a prototype of Christ, a shadow of the future Christ.
JOSHUA AND JESUS
– Joshua name means God is Salvation or Jehovah Saves
• Jesus names in Hebrew is Joshua
– Joshua brought the Israelites into the Promised Land Joshua 21:43
• Jesus brings us to a heavenly Canaan Hebrew 9:13
– Joshua led in conquering the land so people had rest. Joshua 21:44
• Jesus said “I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
– Joshua apportioned the land-Israel’s inheritance Joshua 11:23
• Jesus Christ offer eternal possessions to all who come to Him Titus 3:3
There are some SIMILARITIES in lives of Samson and of Jesus Christ –
• Births were foretold about an angel
• Dedicated to God from the womb.
• Both men moved in the power of the Holy Spirit.
• They were rejected by their people and
• Bound and tortured at the hands of their enemies.
Many CONTRASTS between Samson’s life and Jesus
• Samson live a life of sin;
• Jesus life was sinless
• Sampson at the time at his death prayed, Judges 16:28
I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes
• Jesus prayed, “ Father forgive them, for they know not what they do”
• In death Samson's arms were outstretched in wrath.
• In death Jesus arms were outstretched in love
• Sampson died.
• Jesus Christ lives
Book of Ruth
The blessing of the women of Bethlehem was to Naomi and they predict that the name of Ruth’s first born will be famous. The author of the book of Ruth carefully lists the lineage to fulfill the prophesy.
14-15 “Praise be to the LORD, who this day has not left you without a kinsman-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel! 15 He will renew your life and sustain you in your old age. For your daughter-in-law, who loves you and who is better to you than seven sons, has given him birth.”
BOAZ AS KINSMAN REDEEMER
• Urged Ruth to stay in his field
• Offered her safety, food, and water
• Allowed Ruth to glean among the sheaves
• Charges workers to leave her extra
• Ordered workers not to touch her
• Redeemed Elimelech's land
• Took responsibility for Naomi and Ruth
God is the true hero in this story. His boundless love provided a kinsman-redeemer for us. Jesus redeemed us and gave us life and a future.
SAMUEL AND JESUS
• Miracle births
1 Samuel 1: 5 the LORD had closed her womb
Luke 1 34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
• Dedicated to the LORD before they were born
• 1 Samuel 1:27 I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. 28 So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD.”
• Luke 2:31 You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. Grow in favor with God and men
• 1 Samuel 2:26 And the boy Samuel continued to grow in stature and in favor with the LORD and with men.
• Luke 2:52
• DAVID AND JESUS
• Born in Bethlehem of Judea Luke 2:4
• David was a shepherd boy when Samuel anointed him King
• Psalm 23 David writes the LORD is my Shepherd
• John 10: 11I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
MAN OF PRAYER
• 2 Samuel 15:31 So David prayed, “O LORD, turn Ahithophel’s counsel into foolishness.”
• 2 Samuel 24:25 David built an altar to the LORD there and sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings. Then the LORD answered prayer in behalf of the land, and the plague on Israel was stopped.
• PSALMS 4, 17, 55, 61, 72, 86, 142, 143
O LORD, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy
JESUS is our model for prayer-
• Prayed early in the morning in solitude
• Before breaking bread to feed 5000, at Passover meal, with men on road Emmaus
• On mount of transfiguration
• Mount of Olives
• Jesus prayed for His disciples and for all believers
• Jesus prayed in praise to God, the Father
• Jesus prayed prayers of thanksgiving
• Jesus prayed in a posture and with an attitude of reverent submission
• Jesus prayed in times of anguish, in Gesemane, from the Cross
James 5:16 The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective only one in all Scripture termed a "man after God's own heart."
• After being anointed King, still worked as a shepherd, soldier,
• A humble man has lower thoughts of himself. David, though a king, still looked upon himself as… a worm and not a man, scorned by men and despised by the people. Psalm 22:6
• 2 Sam. 7:18 "Then went king David in, and sat before the Lord; and he said, Who am I, O Lord God? and what is my house, that Thou hast brought me hitherto?"
• Even when God refuse to let him build the Temple David gathered the materials to prepare for the construction of God’s house by his son Solomon
"Enter not into judgment with Thy servant: for in Thy sight shall no man living be justified" (Ps. 143:2).
Though David sometimes failed in his personal life, as we all do, he never failed in his relationship with GOD Almighty. He was a true servant, and was obedient to God’s discipline.
David was merciful to Saul, refusing to seek vengeance at least twice. He made a covenant with Jonathan and Saul to grant mercy to their family. Mephibosheth ate at David’s table the rest of his days. Allowed Absalom to return home, granted amnesty to
Luke 23:34 Jesus said, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
King David left Jerusalem and fled from his son Absalom. Both David and Jesus were throneless kings, accompanied by their closest friends and rejected by their own people.
David has his 2 sets of three mighty men and the 30 chief men. Joab name is conspicuously missing in this list?
Jesus had his inner circle Peter, James and John and 12 Disciples
Matt 17:1 Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 There he was transfigured before them.
Mark 14:32 They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” 33 He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. 34 “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.”
Jesus gave the disciples directions to sit and pray; He then took His "inner circle" further into the garden with him.
Prov. 18:2 says, ". . . there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
MAN OF SORROW
David hid in cave in the Kidron valley. The name "Kidron" means "murky, dark," David was a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief, suffering chiefly from those of His own household.
"Gethsemane" where Jesus prayed means "oil press"
Matt. 26:38 Jesus says, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death . . . ."
• Ch.25 3 days of pestilence 17 When David saw the angel who was striking down the people, he said to the LORD, “I am the one who has sinned and done wrong. These are but sheep. What have they done? Let your hand fall upon me and my family.”
• Jesus Christ did for us what David did for Israel: offering himself in our place, fighting the battle for us and giving us the victory.
David served for 40 years as King of Israel and Judah
David foreshadows Christ is in his role as king.
Luke 1:32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, And He shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of His kingdom there shall be no end
In the story of David and Goliath, David fights as the representative of his people-he fights for them – in their place – and wins the victory for them. Goliath is the enemy of God's people, and type of Satan foreshadowing the conflict between the Serpent and the woman's Seed.
Christ’s death wins the victory for His children and delivers all believers from the penalty of sin and death. Christ will return one day soon as a WARRIOR KING.
REVELATION19: 11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.”[a] He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
Ladies I don’t want to leave here tonight without giving you the opportunity to come to the altar.
Will you choose Jesus as your KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS?